'State machinery defending its officers': SC on 19-year-old UP Police 'encounter'

01-10-2021 Fri 22:31 IST | IANS | National

New Delhi, Oct 1:  For 19 years, the father of a man, killed in an alleged police encounter, did his utmost to seek seeking justice in a case registered against police officers responsible. His plight did not go unnoticed by the Supreme Court, which imposed interim costs of Rs 7 lakh on the Uttar Pradesh government and slammed it for defending its officers.

A bench of Justices Vineet Saran and Aniruddha Bose said: "Such conduct of the respondent/state cannot be understood. The laxity with which state has proceeded in the present case speaks volumes of how State machinery is defending or protecting its own police officers."

The bench said this is a very serious case where the petitioner, Yash Pal Singh, who is father of the deceased, is running from pillar to post to ensure that the justice is given to him in a case which was registered against the accused, who were all police officers. "The incident is of 2002 and since then the matter has been pending," it noted.

In January 2005, the trial court had rejected a closure report filed by the police. The bench noted that as per case records, the accused police personnel were not even arrested for the next nine months even though there was no stay of the proceedings.

"Even after the High Court dismissed the writ petition and also the petition under Section 482 Cr.P.C. filed by the co-accused, which was on February 20, 2017, the accused persons were then also not arrested," the top court noted.

The trial court, in 2018, directed the government to stop payment of salary of the accused persons but still the same was not done except in the case of one accused. According to the father of the deceased, the order of stopping of the salary of the accused was again passed on April 2, 2019, which has not been complied so far.

The top court issued notice on September 1, on the writ petition and then the state machinery geared up for action, arresting two of the accused after 19 years and one accused has surrendered. However, the fourth accused is still absconding.

The petitioner's counsel submitted that the fourth accused, who is absconding, has retired from service in 2019 and has been paid all his retiral dues even though there was an order for stopping payment of salary.

The bench said: "Normally, we are slow in entertaining petitions directly filed in this Court but in the extraordinary circumstances of this case, we have entertained this petition to ensure that justice be given to the petitioner, which has been denied for about two decades."

The Additional Advocate General for Uttar Pradesh submitted the government is taking every action in the matter and has also initiated an enquiry as to why steps were not taken at the appropriate stage.

Taking into account sufferings of petitioner, the top court said: "we direct that the State of Uttar Pradesh to deposit a sum of Rs 7 lakh with the Registry of this Court towards interim costs within one week from today. On such deposit being made, the petitioner, who is father of the deceased, shall be entitled to withdraw the same. List this matter on October 20."


More News
Shoaib Akhtar walks out of talk show after being 'insulted' on national TV
1 hour ago
Telangana to further intensify Covid vaccination
2 hours ago
Andhra Pradesh is narcotics hub of India: Pawan Kalyan
3 hours ago
Prabhas' good-humoured 'interview' with Akash, Ketika goes viral
3 hours ago
KTR leaves for Paris to address 'Ambition India Business Forum'
4 hours ago
Huzurabad witnesses intense canvassing on last day
5 hours ago
Nawab Malik alleges Wankhede's links with global drugs mafia, seeks probe
5 hours ago
Pegasus row: SC sets up committee headed by retired judge to probe snooping allegations
6 hours ago
Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin to build a private space station by 2030
6 hours ago
Now Nawab Malik celebrates 'nikaah' of 'sweet couple Sameer Dawood Wankhede-Shabana Quraishi'
7 hours ago
Waqar Younis apologises 'with folded hands' after controversial remark
8 hours ago
Users can now transfer WhatsApp chats from iOS to Pixel, Android 12 phones
8 hours ago
Now selling counterfeit cookers, helmets, or gas cylinders offence
8 hours ago
WHO body seeks more clarification to decide on Covaxin EUL
11 hours ago
Stalin yet to fulfil poll promise of monthly report: Kamal Haasan
11 hours ago
T20 World Cup: Pakistan beat New Zealand by five wickets
11 hours ago
Faith has developed that corrupt will not go scot-free: Modi
18 hours ago
Andhra CM YS Jagan releases Rs 2,190 cr to farmers as financial assistance
18 hours ago
PVR Cinemas forays into commercial, residential cleaning services
18 hours ago
KTR comes under flak over violation of rules by TRS
19 hours ago
Shah to address 3-day conference on Modi's 20 yrs as head of govt
19 hours ago
Afghan women protest against restrictions imposed by Taliban
19 hours ago
CBI arrests 2 customs officials in Hyderabad over bribery charges
19 hours ago
Junior doctors at Hyderabad's Osmania Hospital wear helmets
19 hours ago
T20 World Cup: Markram, Rassie star as South Africa thrash West Indies
21 hours ago
Pan India helpline for cyber crime, frauds launched
21 hours ago
5-member team to examine Wankhede in Mumbai on Wednesday
21 hours ago
Hyderabad is always a unique, refreshing experience: Arhaan Khan
21 hours ago
'Radhe Shyam' second teaser on the way: Get ready for glimpse of 'Prerana'
21 hours ago
Neelamani Durga Devi Mandir was damaged at Andhra govt's behest: BJP
21 hours ago