Medium Grain Rice – 1 cup (we used Sona Masoori)
Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup (optional)
Salt – to taste
Water (for grinding) – 3/4 cup
Additional Water – 1.25 cups
1. Wash and soak Rice in water for 5-6 hours.
2. Drain the Water and transfer the Rice to a grinder.
3. Add the Coconut and 1/4 cup fresh Water.
4. Grind, adding a little Water at a time.
5. Tip: adding less Water in the beginning, helps grind better.
6. Once the batter is ground fine, transfer to a bowl and add additional Water. Total 2 cups of Water.
7. Add Salt and mix well.
8. Heat a flat non-stick skillet on low-medium heat.
9. Once hot, drop a few drops of Oil on the skillet , smear with paper towel and wipe off.
10. Drop a ladle of batter and spread by picking the skillet and rotating.
11. Drop a few drops of Oil around the edges of the dosa, cover and allow to cook for a couple of minutes.
12. Remove lid, with a flat spatula, loosen the edges and fold the dosa into half and into quarter after that.
13. Remove from skillet and transfer to a plate.
14. Serve hot with Chutney, Sambar, Stew or Egg Curry.