- To get crisp and golden dosas add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds and one pinch of Flattened Rice(poha) to the urad dal and soak it (or) add 1/2 cup of cooked rice while grinding.
- If you want to get crispy Dosas Use low flame and burn for long time.
- Never beat idli batter too much just before spooning into moulds. Just spoon as is. Beating the batter removes the air bubbles, and idlis may not be as soft as they should be
- Excess batter may be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days without turning sour. Do not add salt to that batter beforehand, and cover with a plantain leaf. Add salt and mix a few hours before using.
- When you are making vadas, if the batter is watery - you will have the problem of oil splattering when you fry it. To solve that problem add a tablespoon of ghee to the batter.
- To enhance the taste of upma, add tamarind water instead of plain water
- To make crispy pakodas, add a tablespoon of hot cooking oil to the gram flour batter and stir well before frying.
- Chapattis would come out very soft if a little rice flour is used while rolling out the dough.
- Wash the rice a few times until the water runs clear. Remove all the water until no water remains. Let it sit for 20 minutes. This will remove all the starch and help the rice to remain separate. Adding a few drops of lemon juice or a tablespoon of oil to the rice while cooking, you will find that the grains of rice will tend to remain separate.
- While cooking ordinary rice, add 2-3 dry and whole bay leaves. Remove these after the rice is cooked. This gives the rice a distinct aroma and delicate flavor like Basmati.
- Adding a pinch of turmeric powder to all kinds of dal while cooking, speedup the cooking process.Applying oil dal before it is cooked helps it to cook faster.
- If you happen to put excess salt in the curry, cut a raw potato into about 10 pieces and drop them into the curry & leave for 15 min. They will absorb the excess salt. Remove the pieces before serving
- If you want to add salt to the hot water, Add salt after the water boils. If you add it before, it takes a longer time to boil.
- To thicken any gravy or soups add corn flour to it. It is a good thickening agent. Remember to mix it in good water before adding to avoid lumps.
- While making any deep fried dish, if the hot oil starts foaming and rises in the pan, add a small piece of tamarind to the oil. This will prevent foaming and spill over.
- To maintain the bright green color to any green leafy Vegetables add a pinch of sugar while cooking.
- Always hold fresh vegetables under running water for a minute, after boiling and draining, to enhance their color, eg. Carrots, greens, peas, etc
- Add some salt or vinegar drops while washing vegetables and greens to make them clean and germ free
- For maintaining the bright color of any vegetable, don't forget to put it in ice cold water as soon as you blanch them.
- You can ripen fruits quickly by wrapping them in newspaper and keeping them in a warm place for 2-3 days.
- To keep apples looking fresh for a longer time and avoid browning, apply some lemon juice on the cut surface of the apple.
- To keep coriander and other leafy greens fresh longer, wrap in newspaper and place in a perforated container in the fridge.
- Remove the stems from chilies before storing them. This will keep them fresher for a long time.
- To cut onion without crying, peel and cut onions under running water. Chop onions near a gas flame. Or put them in refrigerator before chopping.
- If anyone does not like or want the strong taste of onion, you can use cabbage in the recipe for the same taste.
- To get more Juice from lemons, keep them in hot water for twenty minutes before squeezing.
- Use a steel knife instead of iron to cut brinjals, plantains, ladies-fingers and mangoes to avoid blackening.
- To keep eggshells from cracking while boiling, add a few drops of vinegar to the water.
- To separate the whites from the yolk, break the eggs in a funnel. The whites will go through leaving the yolk intact in the funnel.
- Don’t salt meat before you cook it. Always salt meat halfway through cooking. (little less than what is required). Then taste the meat when it is done and then add salt as needed.
- To make a healthy chicken dish remove the skin from the chicken. This will remove the major fat content on the chicken.